Honestly, I have no words to express how unbelievable it is to see Ramadan go by so fast this year! However, let’s continue taking advantage of earning good deeds throughout the remaining days the holy month. With that being said, charity is one of the best deeds we can make during not just Ramadan but our entire lives.
Let’s look at some words of wisdom of the Messenger of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى.
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “The believer’s shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity.” – Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 604
Here is a misconception which we sometimes begin to develop. We think that we must make charity in a lump sum amount at one time and be free of doing so for a while. What we fail to realize is that for Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, the smallest but continuous acts of goodness are more dear. They do not have to be huge or in the form of money at times, rather, the point is to give back to the people of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. Consider the following hadith.
The Prophet PBUH said: “Every act of goodness is charity.” – Sahih Muslim, Hadith 496
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Save yourself from hellfire by giving even half a date-fruit in charity.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 498
So, even when we smile at someone, we are adding to an act of goodness and charity in our count of good deeds. The point is to continuously commit acts of charity even if they are small in size.
What is an Act of Charity?
Every act contributing to kindness towards the people of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى is an act of charity. Following are a few of act of charities:
- If we have wronged someone, asking them for forgiveness
- Teaching a child one short verse of the Quran. “The best of you are those who learn the Quran and teach it to others” (Bukhari)
- Planting something edible. “If any Muslim plants something or sows seed from which a man, a bird, or an animal eats, it counts as a charity for him” (Bukhari, Muslim)
- Saying something that will help make peace between two people. This is considered an act of charity (part of a Hadith in Bukhari and Muslim)
- Helping a person load their grocery bags into their car, or helping them mount the bus or train
- Holding the door for someone
- Make a positive Dua for someone you cannot stand
- Forgiving someone
- Bite your tongue and stop yourself from saying something unkind
Hoping to have brought the point across. May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى allow and help us all to achieve unlimited amounts of kindness deeds and charity.