Praying or touching/reciting of the Quran during menstruation phase is not allowed for Muslim women. In addition, fasting is also prohibited, during the month of Ramadan for a Muslim woman on her period. However, the number of fasting days missed due to menstruation must be made up after Eid (celebration after Ramadan) + six days of Shawaal (month after Ramadan according to the Islamic Calendar).
Now the question is how can one keep connected with one’s strong faith and Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى if fasting and praying is prohibited during menstruation?! Although a woman menstruating is not considered to be unclean, the process of menstruation falls under uncleanliness as a woman’s body is flushing out the damaging toxins from her body. On the other hand, just as the woman herself is pure, her tongue is also deemed to be clean and pure. Therefore, there are supplications she can make on a continuous and constant basis, using her mouth and heart, to avoid slacking off of the path towards piety.
We are going to keep this to the point in terms of what supplications to recite during Ramadan and/or the rest of the 11 months.
Following are some of the supplications under the dhikr of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى.
- SubhanAllah e Wa bihamdihi
- Allah Hu Akbar
- La Illaha Illalahu Muhammad ur Rasul Allah
- La illaha Illaallah
- Ya Hayu Ya Qayum
- Ya Hanan Ya Manan
- Allah hussammad
Additionally, below are some acts a woman can make and add on to her book of good deeds.
- Feed the poor
- Give out charity in the form of money, clothing, and/or food to the needy
- Invite guests over to break their fast (Iftar)
- Recite supplications counting as the Dhikr of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى
- Ensure to wake up before dawn to make breakfast (suhoor) for the rest of the family even when she is not to fast
- Console a loved one’s heart
- Sit and contemplate over mistake, how to fix them, and repent
All of the above will help a woman to feel and stay connected with her Maker سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. At times, when a we aren’t able to pray during our period, we begin to lose touch and the heart feels a bit lost. However, if we still remember Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى despite any phase, we are bound to overcome the emptiness pertaining to the heart, soul, and mind.