The third segment or Ashra of Ramadan is about earning freedom from the hellfire. The last 10 days of Ramadan are extremely important. Why?! Because the Quran was sent down in the odd number of nights of the last 10 days. This is another reason for making extra supplications during this segment. Similar to the prior two segments, third segment also consists of specific supplications pertaining to freedom from hellfire and its consequences.
Although there are different supplications which can be incorporated in to our prayer routine during these 10 days, below is one which can be easily memorized and recited continuously.
“My Lord, save us from the hellfire”
There are immense amounts of things a person can do during the last Ashra to create a barrier between thyself and the gates of hell. Consider some of the following:
- Increased amount of Quranic recitation
- Feeding the poor
- Charity work
- Staying up at night to pray extra
- Increase dua’s pleading for forgiveness and never to witness the looks of hellfire
- Praying in the odd number of nights until Eid
- Pray to witness Ramadan in the upcoming year
- Increase the intentions to carry forward what has been learned and gained in the past 20 days
- Offer Taraweeh (congregational prayers in the mosque). This is not mandatory for women or men but earns extra good deeds in to our book of record
- Forgive others, pray for those who have hurt us and increase prayers for the entire mankind to gain Allah’s سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى mercy
What do we earn by increasing prayers, efforts, and supplications in the last 10 days? Every good deed & prayer is multiplied and earns us rewards we could never imagine. Let’s not forget life does not end in this world. Hence, all rewards do not have to be witnessed by us here. Rather, they can and will be awarded to us in the life hereafter as well.
We will continue the journey of figuring out what can be prayed during the odd nights as well as entire 10 days up to Eid. Look out for the next posts pertaining to the to-do-list.