Yesterday, we discussed what our maker, Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى has stated in the Quran and through His Messenger Peace Be Upon Him in reference to Ramadan. How we can take full advantage of the month and to raise our rank in the eyes of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى is the sole purpose of today’s post.
What is Taqwa?
The term Taqwa refers to the fear of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. Now, do we mean be scared of our God? No! Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى is beautiful and the most merciful as is; however, fear of his wrath due to going astray, making wrong choices, hurting those around us, and sinning openly or secretly are all factors to keep in mind. He knows we are not perfect, in fact, we were not made to be perfect. However, striving to better ourselves day by day is what our Lord loves.
Now, let’s break down the term in to simpler wordings with some inspirational examples to follow, shall we?
- When Noah (Nooh A.S.) called upon his people for 950 long years to worship Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى! Yet He kept patient and awaited the help of His Lord and did not give up.
- The time when Abraham (Ibraheem A.S.) went to sacrifice His son for the sake of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. He did not question even once whether what He is doing is worth it or worry about His child.
- At the time when Yousuf A.S. was being allured for fornication by a beautiful woman, yet He rejected her due to the fear of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى.
- Recall the time when Muhammad PBUH offered prayers and supplications throughout the nights for His past and future sins to be forgiven out of the fear of His Rabb ul Ala’meen (God).
Now, we all know that Messengers were innocent and not sinful as we normal human beings are. Yet, they prayed all their lives and bowed down in front of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى to attain their Lord’s acceptance, Mercy, and forgiveness, and to be free of His wrath.
How Do We Raise Our Taqwa?
In today’s world, it has become more difficult then ever to refrain from looking at images, movies, videos, billboards, and TV Shows without sex being sold in its content. To keep our gaze lowered throughout these situations is attaining Taqwa. When someone on the bus stop or train keeps eyeing you, yet you look away for the sake of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, you are working your way to achieving Taqwa.
Remember Guys, Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى loves consistent deeds, be it small and minor and not necessarily majorly huge. When you are exposed to difficult situations in life such as something against your deen or harmful and you are unsure of its outcome, yet you either go past it or pull yourself back, you are attaining Taqwa.
Basic List to Increase Taqwa
- Enhance your character towards not only yourself but others as well
- Increase supplications and prayers throughout the day and night
- Perform the 5 obligatory prayers
- Refrain from major sins and if any of them is committed, be hasty in making Tawbah (repenting)
- Have sincere intentions towards deeds and doing good towards people
AND Keep in Mind ….
How about we all intend to work towards the basics from here on forward inshaAllah?! I hope this helps the many of you, if not all. Forgive me if any mistakes have been made. May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى accept all your dua’s this Ramadan and help us all attain Taqwa and peace of heart.
*next post: Supplications towards increasing Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and attaining His Mercy